Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 Frequent Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

azpghnoclj

Technical User
Oct 7, 2009
US
I have a home built desktop workstation that was initially running Windows Vista and I recently upgraded to Windows 7. I am experiencing frequent crashes where I get the blue screen and then windows reboots. Sometimes I can run for a week without a crash then I can get 3 or 4 crashes in an hours. The system and event logs are always the same.
the only common error is
The Peer Name Resolution Protocol service terminated with the following error: %%-2140993535
I do not think this is the culprit sine this service is for a home network. The only options or things I think that could be causing this are I have 8 gigs of memory installed which caused Windows vista to crash but the mother board is compatible with 8 gigs. My next step is to remove the 4 gigs and see if crashes still occur. The other thing that may cause the crash is I have 2 hard discs. When I installed windows 7 I placed a new disc in the case and unplugged the old drive and installed Windows 7 on a new disc then after the successful windows 7 build I connected the second drive to use as a data back up.
Any ideas on how to decipher the windows 7 crashes?
Thanks,
Chris

Though the motherboard is capable of using 8gb of ram, I would test the memory to be certain it is good, then go from there.

The hard drives should not cause a problem, usually

xit

If you go into Control Panel/System, choose Advanced System Settings then click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery you'll see an option to automatically restart on system failure.

If you un-tick this your machine won't re-boot when you get a fatal error, so you'll be able to write down the error codes. Armed with this you should be able to search for a solution on line.

You could also try running the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool if you think the RAM may be faulty.

My motherboard theoretically supports 8GB RAM but I could never get it to be stable with more than 6GB.

Nelviticus

And to add to what Nelviticus wrote, IF you untick the reboot the reboot option, and you get a crash, more info may be written to the system and/or application event log, which would be a better help.

Also, I highly recommend you do a memmory test. Let it run for a min. of 8 hours, if not over night. Let the test really stress out the memory.

Finally, what did you do the old, orginal hard drive? Did you reformat it? Or does it still have vista on it? If it still has Vista, I highly recommend you reformat the drive. Old old are your componets? (i.e. the motherboard, power supply, etc)?

I posted the ordinal message on this thread. I set my Startup and Recovery option to not automatically restart on system failure. And now I am seeing number of errors in the event logs about:
The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition. Please check for updated firmware for your system.
I also ran the windows memory diagnostics tools with zero errors. I am running the following hardware:
Motherboard - Intel BOXDX48BT2 LGA 775 Intel
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz LGA 775
Western Digital Caviar 750GB 7200 RPM SATA
Mem - 8GB total= 2X of (Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600)
How do you update or check firmware?
I believe the original error about the peer to peer means nothing since it is related to a home network and I have Vista premium with only one computer on the network at the moment. What else can I do to decipher this to see what is causing this crash it really feels like hardware is causing the crash. It is all new hardware only one year old.

I am the orginal post and I think this was related to my mother board or memory sticks from not being able to run windows 7 with 8 Gigs. The 8 gigs of ram caused Vista to crash and windows 7. I have Intel BOXDX48BT2 LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard with two sets of Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel. I think this is fixed no crashes in almost 16 days.

when you had the 8 gig did you increase the voltage to the Northbridge? also does your PSU supply the right voltage to the MB?
4 sticks of ram is a lot for a mb on stock settings. to achieve stability you have to up the voltages for the Northbridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back