Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 explorer takes lots of CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

heintze

Programmer
Nov 19, 2005
US
I just re-installed Windows 7 (64 bit) and I noticed (immediately after logging in) that c:\windows\Explorer.exe is consuming 40%-80% of my CPU. This does not look right! I have 3GB RAM on a 3.2 GHz single core processor I bought in 2005.

This is prior to me starting windows explorer.

Is this correct? When I thought it might be malicious I killed it and lost my task bar and browsers (even firefox).

Use Process Explorer to see what else is going on on the computer. Is it for prolonged periods of time AFTER booting is 100% complete that this is happening or shortly after startup?

The latter: I've been booted for an hour and it c:\Windows\Explorer.exe is still using 40% while I am installing Visual Studio 2010 and doing some heavy duty text processing. I have no explorer windows open. Now it is 50%.

Explorer.exe is the basis of Windows. It runs the desktop, the window engine, and the overall shell interface.

It will always be running, but should be between 2 and 5% usage.

A couple of causes that may point you in the right direction:

Fast User Switching Cause:

Invisible Icon Cause

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back