Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 7 enterprise rebooting applying update operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

techwar

MIS
Jun 26, 2003
US
Came in this morning and I have 3 computers windows 7 enterprise 32 bit systems that will not boot in anyway not safe mode not to the command line. I am going to reload them but I am wondering if anybody has seen this before. A message is displayed "applying update operation 3266 of 6739 (\Registry\machine...)

If life knocks you down, get back up and live.

Hi,
Usually that means an update is in process so do not stop the machine until it is finished, at which time it will reboot itself ( maybe more than once)

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Is it stuck on the message line, or just doing some process intense part of the update. Do the CPU lights on the computer show any signs of activity, or is then any hard drive noise?

If you want to abort any update that might be stuck or failing, it is possible to run System Restore from Recovery Environment if you want to try that rather than restore from backup.

Using System Restore from the Vista Windows Recovery Environment (or Win 7 )

System Restore as said, but then boot to safe mode and turn off the Automatic Update service so it doesn't start the whole thing over again.

But then you have to figure out which update was choking the machine or else not allow any more automatic updates to run. And if you "guess wrong" on which update was choking it, you're back to where you were when that update starts to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back