Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 Drive mapping question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo2k

Technical User
Dec 19, 2002
US
Greetings,

I have a win7 workstation. When trying to login to my domain and get mapped to various network drives on my SBS 2008 server, I get the X sign right next to my mapped drives on my pc.Even though I have access the X sign remains.I have attach an image for your review. Any thoughts?

Have you tried a refresh? In other words, if you see it when looking under "Computer", after you've accessed it, go back to "Computer", and hit <F5> on the keyboard, see if that takes care of it.

I have refresh with no luck. This problem is only with windows 7 and not XP. This makes believe is a setting maybe with win7. Thank you for the tip

Do the red X's go away if you enable the GPO "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" via

Computer Configuration/ Administrative Templates/ System/ Logon

What happens when you click on one of the shares with the X next to it? Does the share open or are you prompted for login info?

Once you are able to access one of the shared drives, are you then able to access the others ok?

I've also seen this behavior with XP in the past. It's generally a network issue, being that the network has not been able to communicate with the shared resource until you actually open that resource.

When I click on the share with the red X evrything opens just fine and stays like this untill the next reboot. This happens only in win7 and not XP. My domain resides on SBS 2008 box.I have a script that runs everytime a user login to the domain with all the drive mappings.
I have tried all the above with no any success. No sure what else could be?

Thank you again!

I suppose the "Reconnect at logon" was checked when the mapped drives were created?

Does this mentioned Registry location exist (in Windows 7)and look correct, and are the access permissions suitable?

SaveConnections

Removing or Adding Items to Your Persistent Connections List

If you temporarily stop your script from running on the Windows 7 machine, and set up the mapped drives manually, do they reconnect at logon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back