Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 and Delphi 7 Problems 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillKilgore

Programmer
Mar 17, 2002
US
I've used Delphi 7 (D7) since 2003 with several machines. Recent failure of my Vista machine led to my replacing it with a Windows 7 machine. Though I was able to nurse the D7 along on the Vista machine it is now becoming more trouble and, after reading several programmers’ illustrations of the problems they're having and the differences between Borland's and Embarcadero's handling of the Delphi package, I've come to the conclusion that it might be time to try another language.
Most of the routines I write are for mathematical applications, including trigonometric, statistical, and attendant Discrete Fourier Transform as required to aid in analyzing sound waves. All of the applications I write must open, read from, and write to Microsoft Excel workbooks. Excel provides me with a quick way of charting of my data. I use a programming language as a tool to aid in my analysis of sound data generated by Humpback whales.
I've been trained in Pascal (Turbo through Delphi 7), Ada, C++. Older languages I was trained in were Basic, Fortran, Cobol, and PL1. My favorite as far as ease of use and extent of adaptability is Delphi Pascal, though Ada is quite similar.
Cost is also a factor in that I finance the tools I use (computers, hydrophones, and software I don't write) myself. Hence my problem with the cost of Embarcadero's versions.

I would appreciate any suggestions any of you might have as to what language you think might be best for the type of applications I've outlined.

Thank you, B Kilgore

I upgrade every 2 to 3 versions. I've bought 1, 2, 4, 6, 2006, 2009 and now XE2. Embarcadro does seem to have better pricing options and has the occasional promotion. I think there is one on now to pick up other products for free when you upgrade your Delphi.

If you switch to another language then you'll need to consider any loss of productivity while you get up to speed with a different language. You'll also want to consider any components that you've either found for free or purchased and whether you'll have access to equivalent functionality. I do work in Delphi and VB6 and I have a far wider range of components for Delphi than VB6. To jump to VB.Net would require me to spend lots of $$$ on finding equivalent controls (if that's even possible).

I'd stick with Delphi. I'm using D2009 primarily (slowing setting up XE2 machine) on Vista Home Premium with no problems. Several applications automate Excel, again, with no issues.

I'm not too familiar with all the different languages out there, but if you insist on leaving Delphi, then I would suggest going to C#, which was greatly inspired by Delphi and is free with MS Visual Studio. Just please, do not even think about using VB - it's a cursed language. C# is one of the most widely used modern languages and is pretty lenient when it comes to updates or newer versions - for example doesn't have major shifts when a new version introduces forced Unicode, like Delphi 2010 did.

However if you already have Delphi, I would suggest to keep using it. There's technically nothing that Delphi 7 cannot do (besides compile 64bit). Anything you can write in a language such as C# or C++ can also be done in Delphi.

JD Solutions

+1 and a star for djjd47130! I totally agree with what you wrote.

Bill,
I suggest you stick with delphi as it is the easiest/fastest option you have.
Personally, from a language perspective, I find C# very similar to Delphi.
Please be aware that .NET is a framework that has initally been developed for the WEB, not the desktop.
That's why I do all web development in C# and all my fat clients/services in Delphi. It's all about choosing the right tool for the problem at hand.
Delphi7 is getting old but I still can do anything you want on the latest OS versions. (Heck I have to support an old D5 project and it still works like a charm). I am on XE at the moment and I will skip XE2 (firemonkey not mature yet, too buggy), so the next jump will be XE3 for me.

/Daddy

-----------------------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get
Never underestimate tha powah of tha google!

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. If I were to transfer to C++ I'd have to re-write what I use now. I may have to modify what I have now on D7 to fit an XE2 compiler but I can see how that would be an easier approach. I'll have to see what will transpire with the Embarcadro price schedule, as suggested by DjangMan, and wait for a promotion or for XE3 to appear and get a copy of XE2 at a discount.
Meanwhile, D7 works, except for the "Help" function. We'll see.

Thanks again everyone, Bill Kilgore

A practical alternative would well be LAZARUS which is a clone IDE of Delphi, and uses the FreePascal object-oriented-language.

It is completly FREE.

Lazarus and FreePascal are available free also for Linux and the Mac, hence portability is there.

I had similar problems with trying to run BCB 5.0 on my Windows 7 machine. I finally installed it directly under the root directory instead of the default programs directory and it has worked like a charm. (I also finally invested in RAD studio XE2, and after the initial shock of going through the Unicode Conversion process, I really do like it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back