Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 32 bit or 64? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjbrown815

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2006
US
Hi,
We just had 3 PC's donated from a local organization. Now I get to set them up. I cant get passed the admin login account, I've tried everything. I think I need to buy Windows 7 and reinstall the operating system. Windows 7 is currently loaded, but that's all I know. Does it matter as far as hardware or are there any other considerations before I decide to go with 32 or 64 bit? I know the world is heading to all 64 bit, so I think as far a longevity I'd like to go that route. Please advise, thanks

-CJ

SQL2005// CRXIr2// XP Pro

"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be"
-KHALIL GIBRAN 1883-1931

If there are any plans to run more than 4GB of memory, then you'll definitely want 64-bit (aside from the fact there's really no point in going with 32-bit anymore). There might be a rare exception where you'd want 32-bit to run some legacy apps, but it's definitely a rare situation that likely doesn't apply to you.

Maybe I'm just stating the obvious here, but have you tried to contact the organization to see what they set the admin password to? Usually before donation, they should be wiping the drive and installing a non-corporate copy of Windows. Therefore, whoever prepared the PC's probably picked a random admin password not used by the organization, and therefore, should be able to share that info with you. Another option would be to get a hold of a third-party utility that can blank the admin password. A lot of free ones exist, and assuming bitlocker isn't enabled, they shouldn't have a problem blanking it.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Look around the case for an "Official Windows" sticker. I've seen a lot of "corporate" PCs and laptops that have a shiny hologram sticker on the bottom (laptops) or back (PCs). This is the official Windows license and usually includes the product key. Write this product key number down. Then get some good Windows 7 media for the version it says on the sticker, and do a fresh install using the product key from the sticker. This will give you a clean Windows image using the actual product key that was issued for that machine. This means it's a legal Windows installation. Not only is it legal, this approach gets rid of any junk they may have left on the machine.

Of course if you don't have the sticker, you'll have to go some other way.

If you're going to reinstall Win 7, you'd do best to do so from the PC's own recovery media/partition as that will include all the original drivers that might be required; otherwise you'll have to hunt around for them yourself post-install. There is usually no problem running 32-bit apps on a 64-bit Win 7 installation.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

If the machines have less than 4GB memory then go for 32-bit, because the 64-bit version actually uses more memory. If they have 4GB or more go for 64-bit.

Nelviticus

I guess you CAN'T add memory to computers Nelviticus??? I guess if you were logical you first make the decision on OS and then you buy appropriate memory.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

The OP says they've had 3 PCs donated and asks which flavour of Windows 7 to use for a fresh install. Upgrading the memory, while of course possible, seems to me to be somewhat out of the scope of this particular question.

Nelviticus

Nelviticus said:
... because the 64-bit version actually uses more memory

It's a moot point, since the difference is relatively small (approximately 100MB according to a Windows IT Pro editor). Keeping the memory upgrade option open for a future upgrade outweighs this minor concern.

@macropod,
While it is certainly possible a recovery partition exists, it's not likely. Most medium-to-large-size corporations wipe the drive and install their own image, so it depends on the environment the PC came from. Also to avoid legal issues, they would have likely already removed their image prior to donation and then installed the OEM version of Windows. The OP should at least check this first to make sure before committing to any decision.

@SamBones,
An important thing to point out in your suggestion is that an OEM license key would not work with a retail Windows DVD; an OEM version is needed. Also, if a license key sticker and recovery partition aren't present and the OP is forced to reload, then obtaining a copy of the OEM media from the manufacturer is the next best step (and cheapest). The OEM license may be embedded within the BIOS, common to many Dell's and HP's.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

cdogg: Since the previous owners have apparently not even removed their own stuff (the OP says he/she cant get passed the admin login account), it's hardly likely they've installed an OEM version of Windows (which they probably wouldn't have, anyway). Besides which, as I've already intimated, such PCs may also come with a separate recovery disc with both Windows and the drivers etc. on it. The OP should check both possibilities - or even approach an authorised service agent for the brand to see if they can reimage the PC with the original factory setup.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Since the previous owners have apparently not even removed their own stuff (the OP says he/she cant get passed the admin login account)"

The presence of an admin password neither confirms nor denies that the previous owners left their "stuff" on there.​

"it's hardly likely they've installed an OEM version of Windows (which they probably wouldn't have, anyway)"

Hardly likely? Doing so is actually protocol where I work. Before we donate a computer to a charity or educational institution, we securely wipe the drive and use compatible media (in most cases, DVDs) from the manufacturer to load a fresh OEM copy of Windows. We set up an admin account without a password, so that the new owners have access at first bootup. Obviously, convenience is a concern, but even more so, it covers us legally in regards to Windows licensing and the removal of any sensitive company data that may have been accidentally left on the hard drive. Again, it depends on the size and competency of the "organization" who donated them. I do, however, find it dumbfounding that you doubt this would happen.​

"...such PCs may also come with a separate recovery disc with both Windows and the drivers etc. on it. The OP should check both possibilities"

We agree here, but you also skipped over another option suggested earlier, which is to blank the admin password. Doing so would allow you to verify if it's OEM Windows and check other things such as the OS installation date. The date would be a dead giveaway as to whether or not this is a fresh install.​

-Carl

>OEM license key would not work with a retail Windows DVD

It does with Windows 7

Thanks strongm, didn't realize that. Good to know.

-Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back