Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2K3 Server File Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilMac

MIS
Nov 1, 2005
US
I have a budget folder in each of department folder that I have to not allow inherited access from the folder above because only a subset of the people in the department are allow to look at the budget. The budget files are copied into those folders by accounting. What happens is the files accounting drops in do not get the folder security and the users can not open the folder. When I manually apply the same security that is on the folder to the file the users can open them fine. What am I missing here?

Set the permission to apply to "this directory, subdirectories, and all files". Its an option in the NTFS permissions.

If you are MOVING files from one location on a hard drive to another location on the same hard drive, they do not inherit the permissions of the folder they are going to. They keep their permissions.

If you are COPYING files, then the copy will inherit the permissions of the folder it is copied to.

Are you sure the files are being copied or moved?

A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

DJtech Where in NFTS permission is that setting?

Under the security tab, click on advanced. The second checkbox is something like "apply to all child objects...".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back