Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2K Terminal Server, routing and internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2001
US
Here is my proble. I have at a customers site a Windows 2000 Server running Terminal Services. It is not a DC. I also have 2 branch sites and an internet router. The server IP is 192.168.100.25
Main Router is 192.168.100.220
Branch 1 is 192.168.101.220
Branch 2 is 192.168.102.220
Internet router is 192.168.100.225.
My problem is how to set up internet at the branches through Terminal services. Whenever I setup the default gateway with the internet router IP and statically map the IPs to the branches it works, however the TS server constantly looses it route to each PC. If I set the default gateway as the Main router The Terminal Server looses its Internet access. Any one have any ideas? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

What a mess. Whos changing the routing around? You may not know the dialup connection if used will change the routing around, but should revert back when they disconnect.

What are you using for your internet router ?

help me help you.. <G>

- NTS

Problem solved.
It seems that even if windows doesn't ask for it, rebooting the server while the remote access interface is de-activated does the trick. NAT works fine now.

Thanx

No one but me messes with the server. The internet router is a webramp. The way it is SUPPOSED to be set up is you use its IP address as the default gateway and then input the DNS IP addresses of the ISP servers. Works great on all machines. It will even work on the terminal Server itself. However, if the internet is set up then the branch PCs cannot communicate. I can map static IPs through route add -p and they will work fine. The problem is after a few minutes the route I just mapped and made persistant dissapear. I cannot figure out why. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back