Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2k server hangs after system state has been restored

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpadilla

IS-IT--Management
Aug 21, 2002
US
I'm doing a trial disaster/recovery for our exchange server.

Basically i'm at the point where my server has ad/dc and exchange 2k installed. Now i'm at the point of restoring from backups, but when I restore the sytem state and then reboot, the server hangs at the windows 2000 server logo and nothing happens, I have tried doing this whole installation before from scratch and the same happens when i restore the system state.

any ideas?

thx.

gpadila

Is the server your restoring to the same kind of hardware as the old server?

Also, to do this properly..

Install Win2k, same name(you can't restore a system state to a different server name), keep it in a workgroup, service pack it to the same as the backup.

Restore the C: and System State - reboot the server.

The server should now be a DC again - you will be able to tell straight away when you try and logon.

Setup the other drives the way it was/is on the production server.

Install exchange by running setup /disasterrecovery - this will drag out all the info the install needs about exchange from the active directory - Service pack exchange to the same as the backup.
Set your mailbox and public stores to be overwritten by a restore, ie. properties of the Store, database tab.

Restore your exchange databases - mount your stores (if the backup software doesn't do this for you) and you will be set to go.

You may also want to check out the support page from whoever your backup software company is, as it most probably will have articles on how to do this.

I have done the above countless times, and it has worked everytime when I have had a good backup tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back