Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2K Printing Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamstilts

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2002
US
I am on a domain network with a nt 4 server 98, and win2k pro workstations. When i try to map out our hp 2100 printer, (which is on a win 2k box) i get prompted to enter a password. Nothing works. Microsoft said i had to start teh Net Logon service in the component services section of admin tools. But when i start this it says that it cannot start with an error code of 3095. Does anybody know a resolution for this?
thaks will

I don't have an answer for you but three possibilities occur to me.

First, there are permissions on both the printer itself and its share. Anyone connecting to the printer has to pass both. Make sure they both make sense. I don't think they default the way they did in NT.

Second, some strange things can happen in an NT or 2000 workstation if the local user SYSTEM is denied access to a device. This can happen, for instance, if your user has access to the device, but the local group Administrators does not.

Third, I have a vague, but possibly confused recollection, that one of the options in installing the printer and file sharing is to use password rather than domain authentication. In this case the dialog on the printer share would specify password(s) rather than users.

Good luck,

Harry

Is the Guest account enabled on the Win2k box.

The Guest account is disabled by default and that is what you use to map a drive through if you don't want to enter a password. New Zealand, a great place to visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back