Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2k Local Computer Policy Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhaseK

Technical User
Sep 9, 2003
GB
I have written a policy on a workstation using Group Policy MMC that I want to copy across to 50 other workstations but as far as I can see I can only Export a list of the settings and not the actual settings.

Does anyone know of a way around this problem without using group policy on a domain controller as the computers in question are sitting in seperate workgroups at various locations?

Many Thanks,
Karl

Three thoughts:

1. You can always write the policy change as a .reg file and use regedit /s [name_of_file.reg[/i] and push the change through the logon scripts.

2. If you are changing the features of an .adm based GPO:
(based on comments by mdiglio, EE):

When you went through and changed your local group policies you were actually editing several files
some administrative templates (.adm) and one security temlpate (.inf)

the .inf file contains everything in security settings
the .adm contains the administrative templates
conf.adm
inetres.adm
system.adm
wmplayer.adm
(there may be more if you imported others)

There is a folder windows\system32\grouppolicy
this contains the .adm files and any login scripts you might have used.

Later we will copy this folder to the other machines and they will inherit these settings once you type gpupdate /force at the command prompt

Now for the security settings file (.inf) I can't think of a way to do this without renetering everything.

Heres what to do:
start | run...mmc
fil | add remove snap in .... add
scroll for "Security templates" click add...close.. OK

This snapin contains a set of predefined security configurations.
If you create and name a new one... make the changes you likeyou can now copy that file wherever you would like...easiest might be windows\system32\grouppolicy

To apply this on the new machines start | run...gpedit.msc
Expand 'computer configuration'...'Windows settings'...
right click "Security Settings" and choose import

This entire security setting section can also be done from the command line using secedit /export and secedit /configure

3. If only a local security policy contained in secpol, you can remotely run mmc on each machine. Make the policy change. Any secpol settings made for the Administrator account will be distibuted to all users of that workstation when they logon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back