Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 2k Domain setup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

akramy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2002
US

I have a rather ODD and complicated problem. I am part of an organization and we recently baught a new Dell and setup windows 2k server on it. We setup Active Directory, DNS, ICS, Group Policies, the works and it appearntly worked great. We did a system state backup. Then we got hit by a virus and it was down hill from there. We used few tools to clean the virus and appearntly we got a damaged regestry. The server appearned to work fine (except for symantec mangment councel not working, but no big deal) We setup another computer with windows 2000 server as a backup DC incase the main one failed. Well, what we were prepairing for happend and the main server is gone. The whole OS went down the drain and we needed to re-format and install windows.
What are the procedures of setting this up as the primary domain controller? (I know in windows 2000 there is no PDC and BDC) if someone could tell me the procedures I would greatly appriciate it. The back up of system state is over 60 days old and appearntly M$ doesn't like that. Is there a way I can have it sync with the secondary and also setup the Master Operations?
Need Help ASAP

-akramy

Ok, so you need to seize FSMO roles.

There's a command line utility to do this: ntdsutil
Run ntdsutil
at ntdsutil: type roles
at fsmo maintenance: type connections
at server connections: type connect to server servername with servername being the server that will be seizing the roll. Then type quit to return to fsmo maintenance:
typing ? at the fsmo maintenance prompt will give you the list of available commands. seize any roles that are not already a function of the new system (probably all of them if you hadn't changed them before). Type quit until it gets you out when you're done. Marc Creviere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back