Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 2k cant load -system file corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.

psasu

MIS
Dec 23, 2003
US
My windows 2k professional could not load into windows and the error msg was windows cant load becasue c:\winnt\system32\config\system is corrupted and I should use the recovery console to repair
I put the 2k cd into the computer and chose repair option to use the recovery console but I dont know how to copy that corrupted file to the root of c if that is precisely the required procedure to resolve this issue.
Can someone help

may be of use.

I'd certainly run chkdsk /r from recovery console as first step. If this doesn't fix the problem, there's a copy of the file c:\winnt\system32\config\system in the same folder, called c:\winnt\system32\config\system.alt. From recovery console you can rename the 'system' file to say system.bak then rename system.alt to system. If you've created a backup of registry previously (system backup tool) the version of the system file from then will also be in c:\winnt\repair folder (but if you haven't, the file there will be from the original install - so take care if you want to copy this file - it may just cause problems because its so out of date compared to your machine's current state).

I see this thread is not too old, but I need to ressurect it if I may...

I had the exact same problem with the C:\winnt\system32\config\system file. But, using the Recovery Console, I copied the backup from the C:\winnt\repair folder.

But now, I get the exact same error when trying to boot Windows but this time it's for a file called C:\winnt\system32\l_intl.nls.

I tried to 'google' for the file but only 3 site come up in the search results and none help.

Any ideas on how I can get my computer to boot (W2K O/S)? Heck, all I'd like to do is be able to see if I need any files off of it. I'd rather not do a full re-install right yet.

Likewise, anyone know what the l_intl.nls file is and could I just get a copy of the file from another computer running W2k?

What's the best way to get the answers you need?? See FAQ222-2244 for details!

That file is a system file - its on the install CD (compressed as l_intl.nl_ in \i386 - expand command will uncompress it).

Have you tried running chkdsk /r (from recovery console)?

Was the C:\winnt\system32\config\system file you restored, recent?

You could try a repair reinstall - - this will keep your settings, data & apps - loses windows update (so need to reapply service pack unless using a SP4 install CD, and visit windows updates).

The problems may be indicative of another (possibly hardware) problem.

Wolluf:
Thanks for your time. As it turns out it was a hardware problem. Chkdsk failed, then I downloaded the manufacturer (Maxtor) diagnostic program and it also returned a failure code. So, it seems to be just one of those hardware failures that happens every now and then. Guess it's good I keep a regular regimine of backups. It also turns out the drive is out of the warrenty period (go figure). So, I've got a very sophisticated paper weight :)

What's the best way to get the answers you need?? See FAQ222-2244 for details!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back