Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2016 IIS FTP server with a ton of user accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Hello All,
We have an FTP server that has somewhere in the neighborhood of 3500 different user accounts. This causes the login for any user trying to actually use the server to either take forever to give you the password prompt after hitting Control-Alt-Del or it will spin for eternity until a reboot. Does anyone have any experience running a Windows FTP server with a ton of users and have any recommendations? Is there a setting to disable local login but allow FTP access I am missing?
The Ubuntu server I set up didnt have this issue so I assume there is a setting or something I am missing. We have just been dealing with it since I got here. I did upgrade from 2008 to 2016 a while back but brought over the whole user base. Outside of removing some inactive accounts, anyone have a suggestion?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

A little more information I think is needed....

You normally don't press Control-Alt-Delete to log into an FTP server...

Are your FTP accounts the same as your local accounts? If so, why? Are they domain accounts?

Can you give a little more information on this?

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Users are created similar to this:
If there is a better way to create FTP only user accounts, please do share.

Not domain accounts but when we have to manage the server and go to log in with a local admin account via RDP, it takes forever to allow you enter the password. My assumption was do to it attempting to load all of the potential accounts.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Oof... yeah... I could see that causing some MAJOR system slowdowns (creating all those local accounts).

Honestly, Bob, IMHO, you're not using the "best tool for the job". The Windows FTP server just really isn't built for that kind of workload (as indicated by the fact that they need to be windows accounts, and not FTP accounts).

I would use something like Globalscape EFT server (what we use at work), or even a Linux box running FTP services before I'd put that kind of load on Windows FTP. It's just the wrong tool for the job.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

@Gbaughma - That was kind of what I was expecting as an answer, honestly. I've spent hours poking around the internet trying to find a reg hack or something to force the users to be only FTP but I dont think it has the capability since it essentially integrates with the overall user scheme of the OS. I already have an Ubuntu server spun up I was using for testing some disconnects we were having with a couple users. Might just fire that back up and try to move over all of the accounts. That will take a ton of time but maybe we can weed out some of the ones that don't connect any longer......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back