Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2008 Member Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechamd

MIS
Jan 30, 2002
GB
Hi

We bought a copy of Windows 2008 Server standard and want to install as a member server into a Windows 2003 Domain. Its not going to be a Domain contoller just a server for us to test on.

Is there anything i need to know or can i just join the domain without causing any issues ?

Thanks

Nothing you need to know, it can be a member in a 2003 domain with no issues.

One thing to think about though is group policy. The options on Windows 2008 are different from 2003, just like 2003 was different from 2000, etc. If you plan on managing some of the newer features of 2008 via group policy you will need to get newer ADM templates.

The 2008 firewall has a lot more functionality than the 2003 version, so that's probably where you could run into the biggest issue.

Also, you may want to disabled IPv6 if you're not using it (it can't be removed, but it can be disabled).

Other than that there's not much to worry about.

MCTS:Network Infrastructure
MCTS:Applications Infrastructure

Thats great thanks for the information. Its all installed now but off the domain so will disable IPv6 then join the domain !

I'll have a read up on the GP side of things

Thanks again

Can 2008 server be install on 2000 domain as a member server?

Thanks,

Kevin

It shouldn't be any problem. A member server doesn't do anything but authenticate against the domain, so I can't see why not.

If you are adding it to the domain as an additional domain controller, you will need to run adprep

just becareful with the Server 2008 firewall. If you want to turn off the firewall, you will need to turn off all Windows Server 2008 Firewall Profiles

Domain Profile – applied automatically when your server is connected to the Active Directory domain.
Private Profile – you can assign this profile manually when your server is connected to any private address (192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, 172.31.x.x, etc.)
Public Profile – applied by default when your first connect the server to any unknown network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back