Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2008 Hardware Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesmith20055002

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2006
US
I've never dealt with Windows 2008 Server (only 2003/2000)in anything but a test environment. I'm just wondering what people think would be good specs (processor and memory) for the following two servers in a real world scenerio?

Server 1 - Active Directory, DHCP, Wins - 100 client users

Server 2 - Exchange 2007 on Windows 2008 (all in one...ie. OWA with Exchange), no more than 40 email users.

Could anyone offer some realistic specs? As Microsoft's specs are more PR than real world.
Thanks,

For just running AD, DHCP, DNS, etc pretty much what Windows 2008 needs basically what 2003 needs. As long as you've got a Gig of RAM you should be fine.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2008 Implementation and Maintenance / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Admin (SQL 2005/2008) / Database Dev (SQL 2005)

My Blog

I actually think that MS recommended specs for 2008 are more realistic than they have announced for previous versions. Note I said recommended specs, not minimum specs;

For AD, DHCP and DNS something like a Xeon Dual core with 4 Gigs of RAM will be more than sufficient for 100 users.

For Exchange I would say Xeon dual/quad core with something between 4-8 gigs of RAM would be fine based on the information you've given.

I'm by no means an Exchange expert so I'm sure someone will correct me if the info I have given you is incorrect in some way. Remember that Exchange 2007 is 64 bit only, so your W2K8 install needs to be the 64 bit version.

Paul
MCSE 2003
MCSA 2003
MCITP Enterprise Administrator

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

From what you described for the role of server 1 you can run Windows 2008 as a server core implementation which has minimal cpu/memory footprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back