Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 Terminal Server Profile Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigipa

Programmer
Nov 24, 2002
US
Hello All,

I'm having a problem with user logons to Windows 2003 Terminal Servers in a Windows 2003 domain. I have searched for days to find another person having the same issue, but no luck so far.

Setup: 2 Windows 2003 Terminal Servers, 1 Windows 2003 Domain Controller.

I'm a Unix guy so please excuse my explanation of the problem. I may not be using the correct terminology.

1. I have setup active directory user accounts on the domain controller for each user. I used roaming profiles.

2. I have created a logon script for each account to map various shares. This is working.

3. I have added both terminal servers to the domain.

We are having a problem where random users are not able to logon. This does not always effect the same users. On one day a particular user may not be able to logon to terminal server #1, but can logon to terminal server #2. This can also be the opposite situation on different days. Sometimes a user cannot logon to either terminal server. There is another case where the user will get a local profile instead of the domain profile. This is all the result of moving to a domain and adding a second terminal server. We didn't have any problems using a terminal server with local accounts. I'm getting a lot of pressure to remove the domain and go back to local accounts on each terminal server. I would really like to avoid this if at all possible.

This problem is kiiling us. If anyone could help it would be very much appreciated.

Thx,
-S

check the event logs to see if you have any errors relating to license servers. If not, do you have any other errors that may/may not be relevant?

~Intruder~
CEH, CISSP, MCSA/MCSE 2000/2003

"The Less You Do, The Less Can Go Wrong" :)

What error message are the users getting when they can't log in?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Hi,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

The event log has the following errors:

1219 - Logon rejected for xx\xx unable to obtain terminal server user configuration. RPC server is unavailable.

1053 - Windows cannot determine the user or computer name, group policy processing aborted.

1511 - Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile...

Thanks,
-S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back