Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 - Term. Srvcs and USB mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

itecs

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2002
US
I feel a little dumb asking this question, but I could not find any answers on MS's website or Google.

Basically, I'm just wondering if I have a Windows 2003 server running Terminal Services, and I have a client workstation that is Windows XP home edition. Can a device (such as a PDA blackberry) that connects to the client workstation VIA USB transfer over the Terminal session established with the Windows 2003 server.

My client would like to synchronize his Blackberry with his Outlook on the 2003 Terminal Server. Does the USB port/device redirect or map over the terminal session on Windows 2003?

Can Windows 98 machines with USB ports carry over to a Windows 2003 Terminal Session too?

Thank you so much for your help in this matter!
Brian

I read in one of the forums in Tek-tips that it's not possible. It was tried on one network that we manage and it didn't work either.

anthony

Sorry to say you can only redirect LPT and COM ports, not USB.

They might investigate getting a serial cable for the blackberry. My iPaq has both a serial and USB and I can it to work with the serial cable, just not the USB.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for the confirmation, it's unfortanet that Microsoft couldn't enable USB redirection with 2003 OS.

I can't seem to find a USB to Serial cable for the clients particular Blackberry 7820.

I guess my only option is to keep looking for that usb to serial cable compatible with his blackberry.

Thanks for your help again.

We have successfully mapped USB pinters connected to client machine and take printout locally via terminal services.

tusharm,

How did you manage that? I am guessing that you have manually shared the printers and connected that way. This is not the same as TS port redirection. The question above though was for automatic port redirection which I doubt you got to work since MS does not support this.

In the case of the blackberries above or USB scanners, there is currently no way to redirect them unless there is a third party solution nobody is aware of.

If I've made any incorrect assumtions please let me know, because there certainly are a lot of people besides myself out here who would LIKE to be proven wrong on this one.

Regards,

Mark

I've done TS printing to USB printers. I've posted the MS site link elsewhere in here/Windows 2000.

Not tried Blackberries but I can't see it. Gonna try it though just for humour value.

Zelandakh,

I know the link you are referring to. It is for the KB to get DOT4 printers to work in a TS Session. That is unfortuantely not the same thing as redirecting the enire port. If you take a look at the options under the RDP5 client you will see that it gives the option to:

Redirect Local Printers
Redirect Hard Drives
Redirect COM Ports

It does not give the option to redirect USB ports and of course the plethora of unspecified USB devices. (yet)

I do believe Microsoft will figure this out somehow and make it an option, just a question of how long it will take.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back