Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 Server Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

abromfield

Programmer
Apr 18, 2003
SA
Hello,

I have some questions that the representatives from Microsoft can't seem to answer. Here's the situation, I have 1000 SQL Server Standard/MSDE 2000 databases replicated to 1 SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition database. The SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition is running on Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition. This server is duplicated for failover purposes.

My questions are the following:

1.) Do I license the SQL Server Enterprise Edition using Processor Licenses, or CAL Licenses? (Are the 1000 databases connecting to this enterprise database for replication considered clients?)

2.) How do I license the Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition? My thinking is that the 1000 DB's do not need CALS because it's the SQL Server 2000 Enterprise that's handling authentication, NOT the Windows 2003 Server.

If any one can give me a clear, concise answer it would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back