Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 SBS slow network response ( HELP )

Status
Not open for further replies.

farana75

IS-IT--Management
Jul 8, 2005
US
Hello guys, I really need your advise on this issue. I would really appreciate..

I just set up and configured a Windows 2003 SBS server in our office. The server has been configured with a domain controller. We have 6 client XP PRO workstations connecting to the server. Those machines have enough RAM..at least 2 GB each pc.

For right now, we are only running the 2006 Tax application. Somehow, it takes for ever to open the applications from the workstations. Once I get in, if I try to open any record, it takes approximately 30 - 40 seconds to open the record. The ping is always successful and I am not losing any packets.
I do not understand why the network performance is very slow while working on this application.

Please help me to understand what could be causing the slow response..
Thanks,
farana

What's the network hardware look like. Are you using a hub, or a switch? Is it a 10mb device, or does it support 100mb?

If you connect to a share on the server and copy a file down to the workstation, what's the performance like? For example, connect one of your clients to the \\server\clientapps share and copy down the Outlook2003 install folder. How long does it take? If it's quick, check out the support FAQ of the tax application vendor. If it's slow, try changing out network hardware and testing again.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

I recently had a problem coping files accross the network. An 8 MB jpg took 3 to 5 min. In an effort to fix a problem at one time some suggested to set all the nics to manual 100 or 10 instead of auto. I went to the workstations and changed each to Auto. Everything was fine after that.Also I have found that pointing you workstations to your internal DNS and the server to your ISP. Never point workstations to external DNS. I hope some of this helps.

JIFITZ

More than likely you have not configured your DNS properly. Please post a complete IPCONFIG /ALL from both the server and a sample workstation.

Jeffrey B. Kane
TechSoEasy

just for sanity sake check if your network card speed is set to auto negotiate. I had tough time with network if I set it to 10-full duplex

I really want to thank all you guys for you prompt response.
To Shackdaddy: I copied a 40 MB folder to the C drive on one of the workstations. The folder downloaded the files really quick. There was no delay downloading from the server to the workstation.

To Jifitz: I made sure all the NICs were set to Auto. For DNS, I have only the server IP address. (also DNS server). I removed the ISP DNS from the workstations, but it did not make a big difference.

To Techsoeasy: I have already double checked the DNS settings, and I do not see anything wrong. I also have a DHCP configured on the server and it seems to be distributing IP address normally.

To Piyu75: All of the NICs are set to Auto negotiate. It's not manual..

At this point, I think it's an application issue. Each vendor has its own way to configure things. I am going to contact the vendor and see what they can do. Hopefully, it's just an application issue.

Thanks again for your help. You are guys are very helpful and knowledgeable..Keep up the good work..
Thanks
Farana

farana75, suit yourself... but I've often checked settings myself and didn't see a very obvious error. It's always a good idea to have a second set of eyes take a look.

There's no harm in posting the IPCONFIG /ALL's so I don't quite understand your reluctance to have us take a look.

I'm assuming that you have the tax application installed on each workstation and the data is on the server, with perhaps a database management/server side component of the app. This would be a fairly standard way to deploy this kind of software... and I've often seen that the "hangs" are caused by internal networking communications that have to timeout because there are misconfigurations.

Jeff
TechSoEasy

I can see an DNS misconfig cause a slow initial connection, but to have that sort of lag on each record opening but still have fast standard SMB traffic suggests that there's something special about the application. Could be that the ports that the application uses for connection are conflicting with either workstation or server firewall settings. I'm willing to bet your vendor has a quick solution for you.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back