Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 SBS R2 memory leak in lsass.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

adh2tek

Technical User
Dec 29, 2010
US
We are trying to troubleshoot a probable memory leak occurring on a Windows 2003 SBS Standard R2 server(5.2.3790 Service Pack 2 Build 3790, 4GB RAM), running Exchange and Backup Exec 11D (Media) Server.

The issue started a few months ago. The lsass.exe process seems to be stable and consumes less than 50MB until the Backup Exec services are started. From that moment the memory in use by the process grows over 1.4GB within less than two weeks, until it starves all the other services and the server becomes unavailable.

In the Event Logs the following errors are recorded:

Source: VSS
Event ID 6013
---
Sqllib error: OLEDB Error encountered calling IDBInitialize::Initialize. hr = 0x80004005. SQLSTATE: 08001, Native Error: 18
Error state: 1, Severity: 16
Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Error message: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (SECDoClientHandshake()).]SSL Security error.

Source: Backup Exec
Event ID 57860
----
An error occurred while attempting to log in to the following server: "server".
SQL error number: "0012".
SQL error message: "[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (SECDoClientHandshake()).]SSL Security error.
".

---------

A few weeks ago the Backup Exec 11D was upgraded from Rev. 6xxx to Rev. 7170, (with SP5 and HotFix 70) and the backup jobs are successfully completed as scheduled, but this didn't solve the problem.

The server has the recommended updates and hot-fixes installed.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Not a fix but I had other BE versions with leaks, spent way to much time trying to find a fix, even called BE tech support(usesless, but that was years ago, before Symantec).
Finally I created a task which stopped then restarted the BE services once a day, at least this kept the leak from getting out of hand. The older BE versions with this issue were dependent on the mobo memory manager, some BE installs behaved properly depending which chipset you had on the motherboard. I finally gave up trying to stabilize the problematic installs and just used a script as mentioned above. If you do call for support, before you agree to the blood money, have the tech agree there will be payment only if the problem is fixed, they ate the last call I made to them (8 hours total), it also gets you to the upper tier techs faster.
Good luck, I know it it frustrating.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Even if the backup services are stopped, the amount of memory used by lsass.exe doesn't increase anymore but is not released, so at some point the server must be rebooted to reclaim the memory.

I have has a memory leak on dns.exe but often when I reboot my server remotely the server hangs on shutdown I can ping the unit but I need to physically pull the plug and reboot. I think it is attributed to BE 11D, I may upgrade to a new version, I notice if I manually stop or shutdown the main memory hog processes upon reboot then the server will reboot normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back