Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 running SQL 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdfdr78

Technical User
Jul 19, 2005
Hi there,

I`m having a problem on a windows 2003 Server running SP2 with SQL 2000 sp3 on. For some reason the Hard drive Capacity is decreasing steadily without anything being loaded onto the server has anyone come across this before?
It`s literally a couple of mb every few minutes.

Thanks Richard

I've got SQL 2000 on Server 2003, and 2003 RC2. I've had no problems as you describe running on the Dell Poweredge 2800 and 2900 servers.

However, what you describe could be the result of a slowly failing RAID array, have you looked into that?

Is your transaction log growing?

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

It seems lawnboy hit it on the head, the transaction kept on growing. I`ve sorted this now and space has been reclaimed.

Thanks for help.

So your disk capacity wasn't actually decreasing, but the amount of free space.

I thought it odd a disk would fail sector by sector without the controller figuring out the drive just needed removed from the array.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back