Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 Problems: Explorer Flicker Refresh High CPU-usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

boein

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
BE
Hi all,

We have a problem with our Windows 2003 servers. When we first installed this server everything went very well. The server was very stable and performant so we choose to implement Windows 2003. Apparently this was a big mistake because Windows server 2003 has a serieus performance issue with explorer. When adding more users to this server the system performance became terrible. After a while I noticed that the windows explorer takes a lot of the CPU without any reason. The left pane of the windows explorer flashes, like it's doing a refresh or someting. In fact when using network drives, the system is being notified about every change in these network drives (ex. when other people are copying files to this network drives). So a lot of traffic is transferred over the network and every explorer connected to these network shares will experience a flash. You can imagine that large networks where lots of people are working with network shares (in our network even "my computer" is redirected to a network shares) result in a lots of flickers. This flicker is not only annoying also CPU perfomance is hit by this issue. Imagine this: when you use this server as a terminal server, every explorer opened by a user will try to respond to network changes made by other users-> this is a nightmare for the CPU. When examining our performance logs we saw this is always happening at the same moment, so when 20 users have their explorer opened on this server total CPU-usage for the explorer-process is a sum of all the explorers of all the users toghether i.e. 20 times 4%6%8% ... depends on what windows wants at that time, on a rainy day more CPU on a sunny day less CPU ... Who will tell ;-) No seriously this is not funny at all, you invest a lot of work and mony in windows 2003, and as a result everything is now working much slower than ever before, using windows 2003 as terminal server you must have a 64CPU 4 GHz machine with 1 Terabyte Ram :) to give your users a decent system, this is unacceptable.

My questions are:
1. Are there people having the same problems as we do?
2. Will there be a fix? XP had the same problem, MS had a registry fix I believe, changing the NoRemoteRecursiveEvents key in registry which btw doesn't fix all of the problem.
3. SMB (SMB FindFirstChangeNotification) had also something to do with it, is there sb who has found a workaround by disabling this SMB-traffic, without loosing your network drives off-course.
see "330929 Windows XP May Cause Extra SMB Notify Change Traffic" for more info
4. Has somebody already tried the pre-service pack 2 for XP, and does it work for windows 2003?
5. The one who finds a solution, I'll definitely buy a beer :)

Cheers
WIm

For those who have the same problem, I've found a workaround. Simply replace explorer.exe with another freeware-explorer (read NON M$). We did it on our servers and now performace is much much better no more CPU hickups, flickers are gone, and now we can wait till M$ is able to make a DECENT explorer :)
I also tried to replace M$-explorer W2K3 with the one from W2K but this doesn't work, it requires shell32.dll. Anybody any ideas? When this works, it can also be a workaround, without having to use 3rd party software.

Thanks
Wim

Start, Run, regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Update

In the right pane you will see a setting named UpdateMode, which controls the Explorer refresh rate To set this rate at its fastest, change the value of UpdateMode to 0.

boein,

We use Win2003 for Terminal Server (with Metaframe XP FR3) and haven't had anything like this.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the Content Index service, (which we disable on all machines by default)?

Worth a try...

Cheers,
Sam

Please let members know if you found their posts helpful.

OzDog I checked the indexing-service on our Windows 2003 servers and this service is disabled. Do you use network mappings on your Terminal Servers? Are these network-drives mapped to windows 2000 servers? (We also made some mappings to win 2K clusters). What version of win2003 are you using? We use Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790] i.e. windows 2003 build 3790. Terminal servers are running on compaq DL360 Generation 1 with dual processor 833 Mhz and 2,5 Gb RAM. We can server approx 20-25 users maximum.
What is the maximum users you can support with your servers.
Most important applications used on our TS:

Lotus Notes 5.12
Sapgui 6.2
Rumba office 2000 (AS400)
Office 2002

Concerning the registry modification, did you have the same problems Bcastner? We do have this key and the value "1", what does this key do exactly?

Thanks

Wim

We're on the same build of Windows, and yes, we map to Win2K & NT4 File Servers.

We're running the DL360 G3s (2x3.0Ghz) with 3Gb RAM, planning to support 40-45 users/server. We're only in test phase at present, but so far, stress testing says that will be fine.

We're running Office 2000, MIMS (ERP System like SAP) and all our other apps no probs.

Our current production system is 12 G1s (dual proc & 4GB RAM) running NT4 TSE & many of same apps. 40-45 users/server no problem.

Cheers,
Sam

Please let members know if you found their posts helpful.

We also had no problems when we were running NT TS4 + citrix on our compaq DL360 G1 servers. We could support 40 users on 1 server. Nowadays only 20-25 users.
But when I read your post you are saying that your system is still in test phase. When we were in test phase a couple of months ago, we also had no performance problems. That's why we decided to put windows 2003 into production. During roll-out we saw that performance was going down. I don't know if your stress test are in fact citrix scripts, or real users? I can tell you that you will only see the exploder flickers when a lot of people (not scripts) are using their exploder, creating a lot of network traffic.
We use practically the same hardware same OS so I'm really wondering why we have this exploder-issue.
We use a Filer 825 from netapp, this filer is connected with a windows 2000 cluster file and print-server, could this be the reason?
I tried all registry-key modifications I could find on the internet, rebooted -> still the same

Regards
Wim

HI.

Some guesses:

Try forcing users (using GPO or other method) to be configured with:
Folder Options - Use Windows Classic Folders
And:
Folder Options - View - clear the "Show Popup..." box.

Is the file server also a DC? If so, look here:
Slow Network Performance Occurs If You Copy Files to a Windows 2000 Domain Controller

Yizhar Hurwitz

Im sorry not being able to help directly...

I just wanted to comment, that i'm experiencing the same Problem on my Win2k Machine at home not being within any internal network, and until now, I haven't found a solution for it...

Regards

Alvaro

Apparently it was a bug like in windows XP.
There's a hotfix for Windows 2003, check KB 831129. The problem was the NoRemoteRecursiveEvents reg key after all.
Thanks M$.

Wim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back