Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIndows 2003 NT backup Catalog Probelm

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlckJckFrnk

Technical User
Feb 20, 2002
US
I have a CLIENT who uses the Windows Server 2003 NT BACKUP.
THe problem he's having is when he tries to catalog the tape, he gets a "Please Insert Media 2 TAPE" MSG.
However, these was no Media 2 tape create......

He tried to call MS, they gave him the Shake and Bake and of course it did not work. I would try creating a new backup, but need to get into the old tapes to recover info.... Thanks for any help

BlckJckFrnk

i think the problem is classic.
Unfortunately I have seen the 'fix' result in old tapes being unreadable.
However, I apply this fix anywhere between three and four times a day and it solves 99% of the problems my customers see in their backups.
Tell your friends about it whether or not you think it even applies to their problem because IT DOES.

I base this on the MS KB842411
.......I don't care if you are SCSI or Fibre....the same problem.

Perhaps, and to a lesser extent in many cases, an old or incorrectly installed SCSI/Fibre controller driver can contribute to the problem, and this should also be addressed by you.
Please read the following steps.
the follow them carefully.

Disable Removable Media Service.
-------------------------------
This is all that would be required for Windows 2000.
Windows 2003 is not so simple!
I hate to think what Vista is going to bring with it.

Microsoft Windows 2003 Test Unit Ready (TUR) Fix for Dell TBU Devices
Microsoft currently has a conflict in Windows 2003 that causes TUR floods to occur on SCSI and Fibre attached devices.
It causes the units to fail to respond or to be slow to respond to SCSI commands.
This is documented in the following Microsoft knowledgebase article: Please note that this is only semi-permanent, any time you make any driver change/upgrade you will need to re-apply this fix.

Go into Device Manager and right click on each of the TBU devices - Medium Changer AND drives and select the properties of each one.
Go to the Driver tab of the properties dialog box and click on the Driver Details button.
This will give you the link to the driver file

Open regedit and find the following section: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Under this section you should see the driver names that you recorded in the previous step, minus the .sys suffix.(NOTE adicsc.sys = adicsc key but halfinch.sys = halfinchVRTS key)
Now click on the entry for Tape Driver and Medium Changer Drivers in the left hand pane. You will see the registry keys for that driver appear in the right-hand pane.
You need to add a new key to this list.
Right click in the right-hand pane and select New -> DWORD Value. The name of the key you are adding is AutoRun (Case Sensitive).
The HEX value to the right should read in parentheses (0).
Now repeat this step for each of the drivers for each of your TBU devices.

I have a list of other services which should also be edited, but because it is all very dependent on your particular installation i will add the following provisio.
Look for any service which could be linked to your tape backup hardware manufacturere, eg ADIC, Storagtek, Quantum, IBM, HP.
Some additional services which are run by Windows, and which will need modification are CHANGER, MOUNTMGR, and SCSICHANGER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back