Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003/Exchange 2000 ADC Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spp3rt

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2003
AU
Hi,

We're looking at migrating our network to Windows 2003 with an Exchange 2000 server running off Windows 2000 (McAfee Groupshield for Exchange 2003 isn't out yet). In our test environment, I have setup a Windows 2003 AD domain and it is running in Windows 2000 Native mode.

In order to test the exchange migration, I have replicated our current Exchange server (NT4/Exch 5.5) and I have verified that I can log onto it successfully both in email and in NT shares so the domain trusts between the NT4 & 2003 are working as far as i'm concerned.

When I run the Exchange 2000 Active Directory Connector (Exch 2000SP3 version) on the Windows 2003 AD DC to do LDAP lookups, it times out on the Add button on the From Exchange window. I have run perfmon on the NT4/Exch 5.5 box and LDAP queries are definately being made and I can manually run ldap queries (LDAP://Exch) from IE.

Out of frustration, I installed Windows 2000 and joined it to the domain and then installed the Exch SP3 ADC and it worked and could even setup replication connections for the W2003 server. The user accounts were successfully transferred over and as far as i'm concerned, this is working. This would indicate to me some incompatibilty between Exchange 2000 ADC & W2003 however i've been unable to find any info on the net.

Can someone please point me in the right direction as i'd prefer to setup/run the ADC from the W2003 DC instead of the Exchange 2000 member server. I have seen that other people with problems with ADC have fixed them via DNS however as the 2003 DC is running DNS and it and the 2000 machine are both querying the same database, I don't understand how it could be this.

Cheers,

Kieran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back