Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 Disk aligning on a Spanned volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKSysAdmin

Technical User
Mar 20, 2008
CA
Hi all,

I have a SAN that we have created 4 x 1.3 TB arrays on. They are all RAID 10 arrays. The issue is (due to firmware limitations at the moment) that we need this to be all one large array (expandable later on as we add more SAN trays).

I want to use windows spanned volumes but realized that I am unable to use disk aligning feature of diskpart and create an aligned to 128 offset spanned volume across all 4 arrays.

My hunch is that windows can't do this because the alignment would have no effect when using a spanned volume under normal circumstances but that because we have RAID SAN volumes underneath the OS, that it would be beneficial to be able to align the cluster sizes of the partition to the cylinder boundaries (or in this case RAID Stripe boundaries).

Can anyone confirm that this is or isn't possible with Diskpart or any other utility ?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back