Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 Dial In User Static Routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScarEye

MIS
Oct 22, 2003
US
Hey guys,

I am having some trouble here. I have a Windows 2003 Small bussiness server machine. It is setup for Routing and Remote Access.

Now I have a machine outside this network running Windows XP Pro. Now I can dial into my server and create a VPN tunnel with no problem and even assign a static IP address to this machine from the server.

Now the problem here is that I have also configured the server for static routing. I set a static route and when the user dials in from the Windows XP Pro machine it will not add the static route. So now anytime the user surfs the web it's pushing all the traffic out the VPN through my Routing And Remote Access Server.

I have found a way around this to maually remove the static route and re-create a new one but I don't want my users doing this.

Does anyone know how I can fix this problem.

I go into active directory find the user right click go to properties under the Dial In Tab I click on Assign Static IP Address (Which works fine) and underneath that I check off Apply static routes, click on static routes. Put in the Destination and Mask Apply and OK.

The assigned static IP address works perfectly but NOT the static routes..

Anyone know why or how to fix this ?

Thanks In Advance
ScarEye

just configure your client to do split tunneling. I don't like to this, i even configure it from GPO but if you want, try this:
Go to VPN properties, networking, tcp/ip, properties, advanced and uncheck use default gateway on remote network

you said you created static route, what for? If you want to your user to connect to internet through your other gateway while doing VPN, configure the internet explorer to use a proxy (under dial up and VPN properties)

The static route was created so that the user doesn't use my server as it's default gateway but it's own network.

But it seems your meathod is working.

Thanks a million

ScarEye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back