Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 Cross Domain Trust Issues 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

moria6

MIS
Jul 11, 2000
US
I have two windows domains for which I need to add Domain A users to Domain B. In order to do this I fired up the Active Dir Domains and Trusts wizard. There I found out that:

Domain A
windows 2003 domain domain & forest functional level ==> Windows Server 2003

Domain B
Windows 2003 domain domain functional level = Windows 2000 mixed, forest functional level = Windows 2000

(Note: I did not set up either of these domains - I am a Domain Admin for both now).

I am "assuming" that I need to raise the level of domain B to that of A. My question is, what consequences might that have on Domain B, e.g., services, ActDir, other servers in the Domain, etc. Or put another way, what should I look at / check on before "throwing the switch"?

Also, is there another work around that would let me add users from A to B?

Additional details:
I have DNS forwarding working between the two domains and can run nslookups in both directions. There is a firewall between the two as well and I have the following "holes" opened up:

88 tcp
135 tcp
389 tcp, udp
445 tcp

Thanks in advance!

maurie

moria6,

If you don’t have any legacy systems (NT4 or Win 9x) you should raise the forest functional level.

Please look at the following MS Article. This will give you an idea what functionality you will gain and what will no longer be supported:
Also, you can create a two way shortcut (not forest) trust between the two domains and you will be able to assign permissions to users in trusted domains:
Hope it helps.

Regards,

Michael

Thanks for the links! They definitely helped. Waiting now for the software vendor (mixed mode domain) to "bless" raising the level to 2003 mode.

Thanks again!!!

maurie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back