Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000pro will not finish dowloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlain

Instructor
Aug 6, 2001
US
I have just installed W2K and cannot get any download to finish. It will start and stop like it is finished, but the file has not completly downloaded.

Thanks for the Help!!

Should be an issue with the connection to the internet (if you are talking about down-loading from internet).
Could you give some more information about this.

prasanna

This is a Windows 2000 problem, All hardware was working fine until I loaded W2K. I have even replaced the modem and it does the same thing.

Need more info... There is no known problem with downloading with win 2k pro that I know of and I run half a dozen win 2k boxes all with internet connection and haven't even heard of this problem. My first impression is some kind of physical connection interruption, but as you imply this machine was working fine until win2k. Well double check the drivers supplied to you and see if they are developed specifically for win 2k.

I assume your trying to download from more than one location and that you have no problems browsing the internet. is this correct?

Just shooting in the dark with these guesses though. Really do need more info.

Good Luck
Shawn

Thanks for the reply Shawn, I do think it is kind of wierd. I have changed modems and drivers for both modems. Do you think having 512meg of memory has something to do with it?

I know there are problems when your not running W2K.

Dan

Are you sure it isn't completely downloaded?
Most downloads are zipped.You need a program like winzip to unzip them so that you can install them.
Another possibility is that you are logged on with an account that does not have sufficient rights to install programs.

Another point about permissions is that Win2k downloads the file into temp folders located in your your profile where your username has Full Control and then the last operation is to recreate the file into the indicated location. If your username\access level does not have at least Change rights to this the download will fail.

are you using any download accelerators at all?

Chris

I am aware of Zip. The files are not even close to downloading. It only loads about 30k of a 500k files.

I am loging in as administrator.

Thanks for the responses,

Keep em coming.

Dan

Try doule checking your permissions in MMC. Start>Run>MMC.
sometimes the local admin may not have the full control by default. Worth a shot...

Matt Wray

Hi all,

I recently had problems with downloading files using Internet Explorer 5.5 - either the downloads didn't even start, or they aborted prematurely.

The solution for me turned out to be the following: I installed Netscape 4.7 from a CD I had, and used that to download and install Internet Explorer 6.0. Now everything was OK again, and downloads via IE work fine!

Now, IE 5.5 had worked fine on my system for a long time, but after I installed some other software, including recommended critical updates etc. from Microsoft - for some reason, "bad" things often happen to my systems in connection with that...

My 2 cents,

DrMaggie
---------
"Those who don't know the mistakes of the past won't be able to enjoy it when they make them again in the future."
— Leonard McCoy, MD (in Diane Duane's Doctor's Orders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back