Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

jferg

Instructor
Feb 15, 2003
US
I'm runing windows 2000 and would like to take my win2k HD and put into a different computer. Is there a way to get win2k boot on the new system

Make it the master drive by placing it at the end of the primary IDE cable and setting the jumpers to 'MASTER'. Then take the old HD and make it the slave by plugging it into the middle plug in the primary IDE cable, making sure to set the jumpers to 'SLAVE DRIVE' status.

Hope this helps,
Corie

Agree with all of the above but just make sure that the rest of the hardware on the PC to be used is W2K compliant.

This reply might be to late. All the reply's ahead of mine are right and here is another twist. I tried the same thing. I took a hard drive with Win2000 from a AMD computer and put it into a Entel computer. I got a Stop"0x0000007B" error. Everyone I know that took a hard drive from one computer and put it into another got this error. You might get this error.

Before you put your hard drive into another computer read this 314082 from Microsoft's knowledge base.This is for a hard drive swap on a XP computer it also works on a Win2000 computer. This artical has the registry entries that you need.

This link has a lot of information on this error.

Hope you see this in time.

spool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back