Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

linzwhittles

Technical User
Jul 7, 2000
GB
Hi,

I am currently wanting to study for a Windows 2000 MCP and i am just wanting some advice about the best way to go about it. I have been trying to read some books for months now but i just don't seem to be taking anything in.

I would just like to hear from anyone else about how they went around studying for the Windows 2000 exam.

Thanks

Lindsey

hey there,

I'm studying with the following:
Exam Cram w2k pro book, and transcender 70-210 software

so far it's beginning to make sense, I'm also going to night school which is also helping, you may want to think of doin that also.....

-Brett

I just passed my Word 2000 Expert certification and I would suggest using any CD that works with Word and has a "Show Me" as part of the program. I have a thick head sometimes and it was nice to be able to click the show me and watch the program go through it step by step. Also get one that times you, because you only have 45 minutes to take the test and even if you know your stuff, if it takes you too long you could still fail.

I work at a school, so I had access to a program called Pinpoint, which we use to do a pre-test on people so they know what they need to study more to pass the REAL test. We only charge $10.00 for the pre-test. Maybe there is somewhere in your area who does this. It sure is worth it!

Demo test-this gives you a feel for the real testing.

gives the objectives of each MS Office test

Make sure you know each objective pretty well before taking the test. If you take the expert level make sure you know about importing and merging databases, inserting pictures from file, and embedding.

I also emphasize to read each question very carefully because there are usually about 3 steps for each question. So even if there are only 23 questions you can multiply that by 2 or 3.

Hope this helps!

Lori ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

Hi,

Unless you have a photographic memory books are quite hard tools to learn from on their own. My experience has been to get at least 2 books on a subject and have access to the programs I am studying.

I have done 5 exams for the MCSE program, and each one I got the Microsoft curriculum books (which come with 120 day trial software) and Sybex study guides. I have 2 computers and have networked them.

I have my last exam to go, and its only taken 4 months to do them, but I could not have done them without doing the practical bits. The microsoft books and software were invaluable, as the way I work is I remember better something I have done. If you are struggling with the books then the only option really is to buy or borrow the kit.

The exam cram books are also good, but are more exam specific. The microsoft books will always be a reference for the in depth stuff we need once in a blue moon.

Hope this helps, :)

Jim.

Retention is highest when you have the opportunity to work with the platform directly. Windows 2000 is considerably more complicated that Windows NT 4, and I do not see the same philosophy used by many NT 4 MCSE's (read a book, and check the brain dumps) to be very successful with acquiring the W2K certification. If you can get you hands on a couple of systems, I would suggest setting up a W2K server and playing around with it.

Ruster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back