Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 user profiles 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigNipper

Technical User
Nov 5, 2002
GB
I have a customer who uses a laptop for romaing work. On the office network he is not assinged administrator rights. But he needs to use his network profile locally when on the road, to give presentations(to install projectors etc..). Locally he has admin rights. At the moment he has to log in locally install the projector then log out log back in on his domain profile to give the presentation. is there anyway i can either mirror his profile from the domain to local profile, this i think will still give the problem as he still does not posses admin rights?

Can't you just give his domain user local administrator rights?

Would if i could but the administration is run on the main server in france with the main company system he is already set as an admin on the local network.

If you've got local admin rights on his machine you can (if its connected to domain). Just run lusrmgr.msc, in the groups folder double click on Adminstrators. Click on add button. Then advanced option - you can select domain as source of possible candidates. Select his domain user, ok it etc and he should be able to do everything from domain user.

Don't know if this will zackly do what you wish, but you may want to go to http// and get the NetSwitcher utility (Shareware, Full Function, Nags after 30days).

This whippy little jewel allows mutiple network configs to be saved to "locations". You can have different DNS, IP vs DHCP, logins, shares, workgroups, mail, printers, change Explorer settings, etc for each location. I roam alot too and this puppy is AWSOME. Easy setup and operation, and easy to teach if your user is reasonably pooter literate.

The only other thing I can say is "pay the man". this thing works great and is dirt cheap at 15 US$

-Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back