Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 user account gets locked frequently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Apr 12, 2001
IN
Hi,
A specific user account gets locked frequently one ever 10 seconds and we are not able to trace why can you please help us out on resolving this problem. Its windows 2000 ADS account. We even checked for any other workstation with the same user but no such occurence.
thanks

We had a problem like this once before - it was due to a workstation running in the corner of one office that was set to run a specific app. It was logged in with this user account and after the password was changed one day his account kept getting locked - it was due to this workstation that kept trying to auto login the user account but with the wrong account. Bottom line is double triple check that there is nothing using this login account that is causing the problem.
One way you can possibly check is if you try and change the password back to what it was previously and see if it fixes - then hunt it down.

Well downloaded GFI and installed. Now how do i see or how do i know from GFI which machine is making the authentication call...

If I am not mistaken you should also be able to see what machine is trying to autheticate by looking in the security section of the event viewer on the server - it should show failed login attempts - you may have to enable auditing it first though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back