Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 2000 terminal session lockup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray2nite

Technical User
Jun 10, 2002
US

I've seen a recurring issue in using admin mode terminal server on windows 2000 server and advanced server. I will leave disconnected desktops open to reconnect to at my convenience. Very occasionally, I've had the server not let me reconnect; I get the win2k terminal server desktop login screen, but when I type my login, it comes back with a dialog box saying "The system cannot log you on due to the following error: The network request is not supported. Please try again or consult your system administrator." I can go to console and see my terminal server desktops are still running, but I can't connect to them from console. It won't let me stop and start the service, those choices are greyed out in services. The only way to get back in is to reboot. And of course, I lose whatever was open on the remote desktop. I can't save documents or even notepads. I saw this happen rarely on 2 machines in the past; a new machine I'm running has done it twice in two weeks. Is this a known bug?

Is it possible that your client's NIC settings are set to go to "sleep" when not in use (through power mgmt). This may be causing your issue, since TS thinks the client's network connection has failed. Hope this helps.

Try right-clicking on the session in question from the Terminal Services Manager and disconnect the session. Then try to get back in with Remote Desktop. If that doesn't work, try logging the session in question off using the same TSM tool.

Hope this helps.

It is not a power management issue.

The session is already disconnected; no, its not that the server thinks its connected, it just won't allow any logins on terminal server.

Sure, I can log it off with the admin tool (which I didn't want to do, I wanted to save the session.) I still can't connect to terminal server until I reboot.
It acts like the terminal server service or some other related service developed a kink that prevents the authentication. It doesn't matter if you type the correct password or not, you get the same answer. So, its not getting as far as authentication.

If the server thought my desktop was still connected, I'd get a different error. Also, it would show up that way in the admin tool.

Sorry, your statement "I can go to console and see my terminal server desktops are still running..." confused me.

I'm at a loss now, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back