Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 terminal server. Vs. citrix terminal server on w2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

erezhillel

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2001
IL
IM looking for information on:
1. windows terminal server rdp6 on w2k
2. citrix terminal server on w2k/nt4
3. windows terminal server rdp6 on w2k verses citrix terminal server on w2k
4. general historical overview on the development of terminal server

Anything will help (web pages, articles, books…)

I'll see what I have around here, dig through my archived IE Favorites links, etc. and let you know.

Here's what I think I know about it:

There was a former DEC guy on the OS/2 project who left about when IBM took OS/2 over.

He got the rights to the source to NT 3.51 to create the original Citrix products for 3.51.

Microsoft built their own Terminal Server version of NT4. Citrix stuff was mostly "value-adds" - like clients for non-Windows platforms, their own ICA protocol that is more optimized for WAN use - RCP kinda stinks over slow-speed networks.

MS integrated the Terminal Server stuff into Win2000 server (various editions, might not be in Win2K Server Standard, but is in Advanced and above). Citrix is even MORE of a kit of value-adds and less of an OS modification. But they still have the misc. clients and ICA protocol, along with some administrative helper stuff.

MS kept Terminal Server in WinXP (in beta now) but it is even in WinXP Pro in a limited, single user form as Remote Desktop Sharing and the Remote Desktop Assistance feature. This may even be in the Home version of WinXP when released. Full Terminal Server is probably in the server versions of WinXP too, but I have no direct experience yet.

The info above is imperfect, I know.

Luck!

I agree with dilettante, in addition you cannot compare Y2K terminal server with Citrix products. This is another MS light show, add in the bells which do not work as they indicate. A “copy” of another third party product ... which MS has a history of taking, rename it and calling its own. Yes, we cannot live without MS (right now...) for certain products. But when it comes down to a product which is made by a specific company ... MS cannot compete in this arena. Use Citrix if you can.

Best Regards
MIS/IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back