Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Terminal Server reboots when user logs on

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntieEPO

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
GB
Windows 2000 terminal server:-

If a user logs on at the physical console, or via VNC, as either a network or a local user, it instantly re-boots.

By this I mean you begin to get the blue desktop backgroup, but before you get any icons or even a task bar you are presented with a brief black screen then youre at the BIOS boot up sequence again.

Nothing in the event logs - NOT EVEN AN EVENT LOG STOPPED ENTRY!

Curiously, this doesnt happen when RDP is used to access it. Even more curiosly it doesnt even happen when using mstsc /console....any I deas anyone?

Thanks

Does this happen with one particular user or is any user. I have a similar situation with my KVM/monitor whereby if the KVM is on the channel of the active server I am trying to remote console to (in my case RDP remote console causes this). The monitor attached to the KVM goes blank and I can't get video working again without rebooting.
If your server is attached to a KVM switch try connecting it to it's own monitor and see if you get the same results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back