Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 TCP/IP issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaus

Programmer
Feb 5, 2001
US
Hi all.
I am try6ing to install SAP MiniSAP on my Win2k Pro desktop. A relatively clean install with SP3, Goback, Norton SYstem Works and Firewall. I have a speedstream router which allows all 3 PCs in the office to access the Cox broadband connection. All works well. The error I get when I try to install this standalone SAP software indicates an inability to ping. I entered the command in the cmd window and it said it was not a recognized command. What is going on? It seems IP is working fine or I could not connect to the internet, right? However, I did notice that even though my Win2k and Wife's XP pro box are sharing files and in the same workgroup, I cannot access them from the other machines. Any ideas? This is really weird. It's as if IP is not working properly. I know the router is assigning IPs to each of them so Cox sees only one IP (the router). It is acting as a DHCP server.
Thanks!

Sorry - I guess I didn't mention that I already tried disabling Norton Personal Firewall, closing Goback, and even disabling Norton Anti-virus. Nothing made any difference. I can see no reason for ping to not work, but it doesn;t. According to windows IP is installed and working correctly with no conflicts. It's bizarre, especially on a new @in2k install. Could it have something to do with SP3? Maybe I should try uninstalling it and see what happens...
Thanks!

"I entered the command in the cmd window and it said it was not a recognized command."

This suggests that your environmental variable "Path" is not pointing to %windir%\system32 among other values.

Hi,
Thanks! That may be it. I am not sure why Windows would not automatically update the path, but I asked an MCSE here at work, and he said it is probably just a path issue. I will check it out tonight.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back