Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 stops loading at Startup Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprude27

Technical User
Mar 16, 2001
US
I reformated the hard drive to reinstall the OS. When the installation gets to Starting Windows (blue screen, right after loading files in memory)it just stops. I have two separate copies of Win 2000 on disk. Neither one of then will install past that point. Any suggestions?

Stephen

Hi Sprude27,

A good friend and co-worker of mine had a very similar problem about 6 months ago. It turned out that the people that put the computer together for him used a 230 watt power supply for an Athlon 1.4gig processsor and the heatsink/fan provided wasn't up to par. His chip kept overheating to the point that the entire system would halt in order to keep itself from melting down.

Replacing the power supply with an AMD approved 300 watt one and changing out the heatsink and fan fixed his problem (except for the power button leads being reversed on the motherboard - but thats another story).

Good luck!
! Caution !
All letters typed above are the direct result of staring at computer screens for extended periods of time and the consuption of massive quantities of caffeine. Beware!

Do you get any sort of dump, or just the BSOD? I just finished working out this problem with an ECS MOBO, it was the memory, older SDRAM that was....fried. Replaced the memory and never looked back.

I'm not sure if it is the memory. I can load Win98SE. It just stops with Win2000 and XP.

Stephen Prude

Did you by chance happen to load Win 98 AFTER you loaded XP/2K? If you want multiple boot options, you have to load 98 first. Also, were the previous copies of Win2K loaded ontop of 98?

Actually it's pretty ironic that I solved my issue today and then see your post online. I had the same thing happen. I could load 98, xp, me, anything BUT win2k, my personal choice. Do this: by trial and error take out a device and see if win2k boots in. I did and it just so happened a few minutes later I found a device that wasn't working properly and causing the win2k load to hang.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back