Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 2000 spoolsv.exe 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughessoft

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2000
GB
On startup in windows 2000 Pro i get the message spoolsv.exe error.

This has deleted all the printers and will not let me re add them. I have tried last know good, and manually starting and stopiing the event - no success.

Any ideas.

Neil Hughes

Thank you, I worked for me!!!

I looked everywhere, that was the answer. [thumbsup]

We had this same error. After deleting the registry key in above post everything works fine.

Thanks
EddieJ300

Smart!

The problem disappeared! But with it the printerdriver (xerox workCentre xk 35c) itself disappeared too after rebooting.
I reinstalled the driver and then everything worked fine... so far. Though the regkey was also reinserted...

tnx

Problem:
Spoolsv error at startup and missing printers.

Solution:
Perform the following steps:

Double-click the My Computer icon on the Windows desktop.
Double-click the C: drive.
Locate and double-click each of the following folders:
WINNT
SYSTEM32
SPOOL
PRINTERS
Select and then delete all the files located in the PRINTERS folder.
Click the Start button, click Shut Down, click Restart, and then click OK.

Your printers should appear as normal upon reboot.

Hope this helps...
RD

buaaa

it didnt work for me.

deleted the keys in the registry but i keep getting the error

cheers

Congratulations to the autors of this hint. It saves me a lot of time for troubleshooting. The Hint works perfect!
Thanks from Uwe

RDesacola,

That worked for me and is alot safer than editing the registry. Is this fix related at all to the Bitware driver since bitware was not installed on this PC or at least i didnt see it running in taskmngr?

Thanks alot

AZeemeri, I owe you man. I have spent days trying to remedy this problem, including reformatting my harddrive several times. In my book, you're a Tec-God. Much Love.

My issues with spoolsv.exe are slightly different than those mentioned above. I noticed on my firewall reports that there were a multitude of blocked outgoing UDP Packets to 255.255.255.255 on ports 137 and 138. Upon closer inspection, it was spoolsv.exe itself squeeking off packets. File and Print Sharing is disabled, and I don't have a network set up at all. Any ideas why a spooler is sending data to the default gateway's NetBIOS ports? It's probably something right under my nose.
Thanks in advance,

- Ford "42" Prefect

Found this on another place on the web, since none og the above did help, i had a spoolsv.exe thatwent from 0 to 99 % CPU usage all the time.. this worked fine on my pc, i suspect a foulty driver from HP deskjet to couse the problem, but be safe, Backup registry first...

This is what i found;

When you open the Printers window on your Windows 2000 Professional Start menu, or when you try to print, you receive the subject error message or one of the following:

Printer operation cannot continue due to lack of resources.

Subsystem unavailable.

These errors are indicative of a damaged printer driver.

To fix the problem:

1. Right-click each printer in the Printers window and press Delete. Press Yes when prompted.

2. Right-click Printers and press Open.

3. In the File menu, press Server Properties.

4. Select the Drivers tab and Remove all the drivers, pressing Yes when prompted.

5. For safe-keeping, use Regedit to export:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print

6. Delete any sub-keys, if they exists, from:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3

6. Delete any non-default sub-keys from:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Monitors

The default monitors are:

AppleTalk Printing Devices
Local Port
PJL Language Monitor
Standard TCP/IP Port
USB Monitor
Windows NT Fax Monitor

7. Delete any sub-keys from:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Printers

8. Exit the Registry Editor and shutdown / Restart your computer.

9. Install any necessary printers.

thx a lot
your hint RDesacola does work very well

you'll spare us a lot of time in troubleshooting

dietieker electronics

Glad to hear that the tip is helping out.
In regards to the message left by Mikeygr1 [Jul 1, 2002]... I'm not sure if the fix that I posted applies to all bitware drivers.

Happy computing...
RD

Encountered this same spoolsv problem on my computer. All my installed printers disappeared. I followed the advice from "AZeemeri (TechnicalUser)" up top and it took care of the problem. The HKEY came back after I rebooted but the spoolsv problem went away. Thanks for the tip!!!

Worked on the spoolsv.exe-problem yesterday without internet-access. Didn´t accomplish anything, but wasted hours trying to fix it. Read your hint today and deleted regkey. Rebooted and everything works fine. Took only a minute. Thx AZemeeri!

Rdesa - thank you so much. I got a little nervous when I had a paper due tomorrow and my printer suddenly wouldn't work and I got spool errors every time Windows started. I deleted those files and it works fine now :)

I am amazed to see how many people have the same problem, this has bothered for several months until I used google to find this forum. GREAT!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back