Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 SP4 upgrade fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBarrie

Technical User
Apr 15, 2002
GB
I am trying to upgrade a domain controller to service pack 4 but it fails with the message "an error in updating your system has occurred" and you can click OK or Cancel. If you click OK it undoes the changes but I have tried to update to SP4 twice with the same results.

The errors are logged in the file c:\winnt\svcpack.log. Under the line:
"Starting process c:\winnt\system32\wzcsetup.exe /i /p"
the return code is 2148467211, and just after this point the update fails.

On another machine where the update applied successfully the return code for that process is 0 and it proceeds to run other processes.

Can anyone explain why this is failing and what that return code means?

Maybe not a solution but perhaps of interest is the fact that we were unable to upgrade our Windows 2000 to SP3 or 4 and Microsoft help asked us if we had used a third party partition manager on the disk recently.

We had used Paragon Partition Manager to enlarge the primary partition. Microsoft told us that using products such as that will prevent SP upgrades on Win 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back