Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 SP3 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefflenzo

Vendor
Jan 6, 2003
US
Has anyone running IIS 5.0 had any web server problems after installing sp3 and the rolloup available? Jeff Lenzo, SSCP

Yeah I had a wierd problem after the security rollup. We have a Dell Dimension 800(?) running Win2K as a web development site. After the security roll up I couldn't access our web site, even from the local host. After talking to MS support we changed the IP address in the default website from 192.168.2.130 to "all unassigned". This worked. Although the guy from MS couldn't give me a reasonable answer as to why it worked.

I had changed the IP address from "all unassigned" to 192.168.2.130 months ago, when we first installed the machine on our development network and IIS worked flawlessly till SP1 and security roll up.

I'm currently trying to track down another problem concerning the hanging on boot. Installed SP3 on a ltptop with 2k pro and everything is fine, same install (network download of sp3) on a 2k server box and the 2k server can't startup I'm currently checking hot fixes to see if it is possible I installed out of order, I know this was an issue with Win NT so wondering if it may not be the same problem. If I can't clear it up I'm going to have to uninstall sp3 again because I depend on the webserver on this box to much. I would have searched but google didn't find any hits that seemed relevant (site:tek-tips.com sp3 iis hang and site:tek-tips.com sp3 Any thoughts?

-Tarwn ________________________________________________________________________________
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq333-2924

After regressing my hot fixes to sp2 and doing some reinstallations and still not finding a solution I spent several hours looking through the MS site. I found this article that actual;ly explains that the web service might hang on stgartup after installation of SP3 and how to solve it. Basically they blame it on 3rd party software, but I amtrying the solution as we speak (switch IIS to manual, reboot, turn on manually) and will post back if it solves my problem.

-Tarwn ________________________________________________________________________________
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq333-2924

Heres the shakedown on the black magic fix:

1) Make sure you shut down all of the IIS services and switch them to manual startup
2) Reboot
3) Start services manually and set up new rules for them with any firewall software you may have
4) Reboot & pray

This actually hasn't worked for me yet, I have had to resort to the work around:
1) Switch firewall to manual startup
2) Reboot
3) After IIS and associated services start up start firewall

Anyways, seems obvious now that I think about it, but it may helps someone else down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back