Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 sp1 - problem with profiles 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perra

Technical User
Dec 28, 2000
SE
Can anyone tell me what did go wrong and what to do about the following:

I uninstalled the Voodoo3 3000 AGP board (removed it) from the device manager and then I rebooted the computer. Immediately before the desktop was visible, I was told that the "profile could not be found" or something like that.

Then, when Windows was loaded , all the contents (documents, downloads) was gone, deleted. Also the favorites in IE5 was gone, but that I can live with.

Should it be like that?

All this just because of my removing the video car frpm the device manager...

Can anyone tell me what it was and what I can do about it?

Can I in some way backup a profile and all its contents?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

/Perra

Shure you can. its only a folder. you can access him easily bi klicking right mouse button on Start button an go on Explorer. You will see some Folders like Administrator and All Users and your own login name, so thats the profiles. You can copy them wherever you want to and back. When you delete it you automaticly create a new one at logon.;-)

To avoid losing your files, make your My Documents and similar directories off the root, NOT way down under profiles where they get lost if there is a profile problem. This way if you need to login to This Computer, rather than the Domain, you can still see the same files. It's easier to do with WordPerfect that with Office 2000, because Office2k wants to put all user directories under the profiles, and you have to force it otherwise with each user who logs onto the machine. Good luck!

Fred Wagner
frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us

This may already be obvious, but your downloads etc. should still be there. When you were loaded onto your computer, you were probably loaded onto a temporary profile. Go to My Computer, then Documents and Settings, then the profile name, and desktop, and you should have your folders etc. there. It's all within the profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back