Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 SP which ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorv

Vendor
Aug 20, 2002
IT
hi all,
I have many server installed with
Windows 2000 SP2 + HotFix PreSP3 Q287687 from many months.

Do you suggest to upgrade them at SP3 or SP4 ?

bye

We've been running on Win2000 SP3 for the past year. We've had some problems, especially the the Event ID 1000 Userev where the profile fails to unload. Win2000 SP4 is a nightmare for Citrix and terminal services....stay away for now if possible. From what I've read from other forums, the safest setup is running Win2000 SP2. If you're not having any problems that are SP related, I'd stick with what you have.

I agree. From what I've read about SP4 "stay away". Micrsoft and Citrix just released a fix for client log-in problems on servers running SP4, but from what I understand that was just the tip of the iceberg. We began running Citrix and Windows 2K SP1 on our server about 20 months ago. I would say the first 14 months of that were a printer nightmare. After updating to SP2 I wouldn't say all our printing problems went away, but they certainly got better. Stay were your at!!

I use SP2 and have the "1000 unload error" and am sticking with that at the moment.

I'm trying to get approval to move from SP1 of Citrix to SP3/FR3 and will be doing that some weekend soon!

Cheers,
Carl.

SP3 = good
SP4 = grief grief grief all the way.
SP2 = good but go to sp3 and patch up the rest.

Stay away from SP4 I have had to de-install on all sites I have installed on.

What patches do you recommend installing for SP3? What have you installed?

Cheers,
Carl.

Just fyi, I avoid using SP3 due to redirected printing problems on Windows CE based clients. WYSE admitted their stuff doesn't work right, and they have yet to fix it.

Matt J.

What ever you do, do not install sp 4 on W2k with xp fr-3. [thumbsdown] It causes nothing but overtime. Be warned that it may appear to run fine for a month. Then all of a sudden the systems just crap out. You start having issues with logons, profiles, systems hanging. Another fine example of it isn't broken then do not fix it. Stick with SP-2 and FR-3 with patches. Works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back