Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Slow! Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

TURNERMICH

Technical User
Apr 5, 2000
AU
Windows 2000 when 1st installed ok.
BUT Then,,Windows 2000 gradually gets slower!!!
Opening files, clicking on icons to run programs,closing down...etc...

I have had a pretty good look around various forums , and find a lot of users get the same problem., but, nowhere is there a clear answer to "NAIL" the problem.
I have several clients , at different sites,all gradually getting exactly the same problem.
Most are on PentiumIII 750 machines, with 256mg ram., and plenty of hard disk room.
Have removed anti-virus programs etc.

---
When Windows2000 is a fresh install, the performance is ok.,
but , after say 6 weeks, gradually getting slower and slower.
Have i think i have tried everything, all the advice from all the forums, but, no real improvement.

Would REALLY appreciate any help, as to something to do to get the performance back to when win2000 was firstly installed., without having to reinstall, or go back to win98.

I don't know the answer that will 'nail it' for you, BUT... if this were happening to me (and it has.. I actually gave up on it and went to XP), I would go through the individual services in the adminiatration tools, and disable whatever I don't need. Since these are at different 'sites' as you call them, then I'm suspecting they are on an NT network.. which means, be careful what you disable. I did not try this when I had win2k, as I was already planning on moving over to XP shortly after that anyway.

Appreciate your comments.
All these computers are on a network. ie a mix on nt win2000 and win98.
I have tried removing all the mapping's etc, and running as a stand alone computer, but, still have the problem.

I started thinking it was the computers, ie a pentiumIII, but,on second thoughts, it did work originally when win2000 was first installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back