Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 shuts itself down

Status
Not open for further replies.

axgrinder

Technical User
Jul 12, 2003
IE
I have just built a celeron 2Ghz pc, 20gb HDD, Cd/Rw and 512 Mb ddr Ram.
I have loaded win2k onto it. All went well for about 2 days. The pc then started shutting itself down even though there was no activity on it, sometimes within an hour, sometimes only after about 8 hours.
It also takes 3 or 4 attempts to reboot it, sometimes it is necessary to physically remove the plug from the power outlet as the reset switch does nothing to restart it and the power off button will not shut it down completely. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Explain "shuts itself down" does everything stop/power off or are things still powered up but you just can't get anything to respond? More info = more help.

Hi Franklin 97355,
When I say "shuts down" The power supply fan is still running, but it appears as if everything else has stopped, although the HDD Led stays permanently lit. When this happens, neither the reset switch nor the power off button respond. I have taken off all power management from both the bios and the Os, as i suspected that it may have been going into hibernation and not coming out of it, but that did not help. I have been led to believe that Sp4 might have have something to do with it?

I have a users laptop doing the same thing. I looks like a hibernation problem but I can't seem to fix it. Screen goes black but system seems to still be on. Cannot get back to windows screen and have to switch off. Unfortunately it then won't let me switch it back on again. Sometimes for an hour and sometimes for a day.

Anyone got any ideas?

Lucky You..
I could not not shutdown mine.

Sounds to me like power management is enabled on your computer.

Check your bios settings, look for "sleep" mode and stuff like that. Betcha that's what it is :)

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back