Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 setup unable to format partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leenie

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
CA
I hope I picked the right forum for this. I think it's a hardware problem.

I had a new hard drive installed and upon reboot I get a "Missing operating system" error. I don't want to put a ghost image back on because this pc has always been a problem. I want to start from scratch and install Windows 2000 again. However, I only get so far when I get:

"Setup was unable to format a partition. Disk may be damaged."

Any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks.

Colleen Gayle Lane
Milton Public Library

Check to make the drive has the jumper properly configuerd. What brand drive is it ? Is it the only drive on that ide cable? If not you need to set the jumpers for master slave configuration.

Wayne

I think the jumper is properly configured. It is the only drive and it's a Western Digital.

Colleen Gayle Lane
Milton Public Library

What sort of 'trouble' have you had with this machine? Assuming your new drive is ok, other hardware faults (particularly RAM, but may be any component) can cause problems which look like they're software or hard drive orientated.

If you have > 1 stick of memory, try with each stick on its own. Also disconnect any 'non-wital' hardware - such as sound, network, modem cards, CD/DVD writers, printers, scanners, zip drives etc).

Leenie,
Have you partitioned the drive? You need to partition before you can format.

IVE HAD DUFF RAM THAT CAUSED ALL SORTS OF TROULBLE. RUN MEMTEST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE.
I PURCHASED A NEW HARD DRIVE FOR THE SAME REASON AND IT WAS THE RAM ALL THE TIME

I partitioned it and still get the same error. I guess I'll have the guy come back out and look at the hard drive and probably replace it again.

Colleen Gayle Lane
Milton Public Library

Leenie - did you try anything I suggested? If it's not a hard drive problem, you'll just get problem reoccurring if you replace hard drive (the clue for us being 'always been a problem' - note bobbers64's post as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back