Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Server, very s..l..o..w booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wurkle

Technical User
Sep 24, 2002
GB
Have a Compaq Proliant 5000 running Windows 2000 Server SP3(main role is as a file server) which takes about 20 minutes to "Apply personal settings" when administrator logs in. Server has 2GB RAM with paging across 3 (logical) drives. Occasionally it can take up to a minute to open a file / save a file via the network, whilst another user can open it straight away.
We can find nothing 'strange' in the event viewer. Any suggestions as to what to look for in performance monitor or any other ways to increase it's response appreciated.

What programs are running in the background, any antivirus?

Also, have you tried logging in as a different user to see if it is just that profile that is having issues?

Another test I'd run is does this happen if you boot to safe mode? If it runs fine in safe mode, then it is definitely a driver/software issue.

Matt J.

Check the DNS settings as this behaviour is characteristic of DNS either incorrectly or not setup/installed.

Wurkle,
Were you able to fix the problem? I was helping a friend today setting up their first W2k domain controller, along with Active Directory and DNS (features automatically installed while using DCPROMO) and the workstations were so slooooow trying to connect to the server that we ended up undoing the installation pending research on the problem.
Is it really DNS problem? What did you find?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestions.
The problem affects all server accounts... we are reluctant to boot to safe mode as it is a heavily used server & I don't fancy getting in at 0500 to try.
There is Netsheild anti virus running in the background. Switching it off did improve matters, but unfortunately this is not a long term solution until the desktop team can guarantee up to date scanners on all desktops.
We are currently looking into DNS settings, although they appear correct at the moment.
jgmarquez - I'll post the solution if we get one, we aren't using AD

FYI on the Netshield. You may want to contact Network Associates or research their website for articles relating to slowness. There are setting that if defined can slow your network down (I.E - if you have heuristics scanning enabled and some other settings as well). If disabling Netshield improved your performance you may just need to take out some defined settings that you don't need checked.

DNS settings were indeed incorrect. Thanks arteus, we now have a useable server again :) It's even quicker now that the netsheild has been tweaked as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back