Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Server/Sonicwall Router/VPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r00tMonster

Technical User
Dec 4, 2002
US
I am running a Windows 2000 Server box plugged into a Sonicwall Soho3/25. I have Sonicwall Global VPN Client software on workstations/laptops.

The win2k server gets an IP from the router. Clients can VPN into the router and ping the internal LAN. Everyones on the same subnet and can ping each other. Everything seems OK.

Problem: The win2k server does not ask the clients who VPN into the router for a "user name/password/domain" to login to the server. What has to be configured on the server to detect the presence of the VPN clients when they join the network?

x::0:0::::

I'm having the same issue. I'm connecting via a CheckPoint VPN. I can connect to my Terminal Servers but Cannot access any network drives or Exchange Mailboxes using Outlook. This problem only arose after migrating from and NT domain to a 2000 Domain. If I log my notebook into the network on the LAN I have all the access I want. If I log into the network with my notebook, diconnect drive home and connect through my VPN I have all the access I want. The moment I log off an back on I have limited access. Because I log on off line my computer uses a cashed account so I never get authenticated again by the domian. I would very interested in a solution as I have many users who depend on the VPN.

RootMonster:

Pls let me know if you were able to login to your windows 2000 domain from your laptop when using sonicwall vpn? I am having the same problem. Pls advise.

Thanks.

Jean-Claude

Hello all.

NETBIOS is the protocol Windows computers use to detect each other over a network. By default, most firewalls won't forward NETBIOS packets as it can be a pretty big security hole, and NETBIOS takes away a chunk of bandwisth. Are your routers or firewalls setup to forward NETBIOS packets? If they're not, you won't be able to see your server or computers with file and print sharing enabled. Confirm this on both sides of the connection. Also, confirm that the client computers have the option "enable netbios over TCP/IP" enabed.

This may be a couple of dumb questions, but how are the incoming client's network props setup? Do they have Client For Microsoft Networks installed? Are they configured for your domain(s) or workgroup(s)?

I hope to hear something. I love solving this type of problem!

Another issue is how you are logging into your remote machines. You need to be logging into the domain on the remotes, or have the VPN client do it for you.

For example say I have a user called Bob on the CorpLoc domain. I would log into my remote PC as User:Bob Pass:password Domain:CorpLoc. Of course the VPN connection has to exist first in order to authenitcate this information, so most VPN software has the ability to do 2 things, first it can usually save that login info for win9x/me systems in the vpn software. Second many software VPN packages have the ability to keep the connection alive even after you log off the local user on the remote machine, thus allowing you to log in locally, open the VPN then log out and log back in with a domain account.

Another trick I have used is to set the user Workgroup to be the same as the domain you are using, then set up the domain account to be the same user name and password that the remote user uses to login locally. This tricks the domain into thinking that the user login information is for the domain, without the user actually having to log into the domain.

good luck.

June1980,

Just read you reply, guess I should check back here more often.

Your right BTW, I enabled netbios on the soho firewall and all is well:)

x::0:0::::

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back