Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Server Preventative Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

leilani07

IS-IT--Management
Oct 13, 2005
US
What are some Preventative Maintenance procedures for Windows 2000 file servers? Does anyone have any links to any solutions?

Among preventive maintenance procedures I would recommend;

- Although you may not need them, go to your hardware provider's website and look for new firmware,drivers that have been updated particularly if they fix some nagging problems related to your OS
- Make sure your OS patches are up to date
- Clean out temp files, recycle bin etc
- Check your Event logs for possible problems
- Ensure your Antivirus is up to date
- Ensure you defragement your server drives at least once a month.
- From a security perspective, disable all un-necessary services, ensure that the filesystems are locked down

That's just my 2cents, hope this helps.

To add to itsp965...

-Schedule a clean up with cleanmgr.exe via the scheduler, daily.
-Create a batch file which searches for .tmp, schedule it daily.
-Schedule a defrag to run off hours, daily. On my raids, benchmark throughput goes up 5% if a defrag is run every day. I would guess throughput would drop 10-20%,if I let it go to once per month.
-Schedule a Consistency Check for a bi-monthly check , if you have a raid.
-On all my servers I have Ewido, Spybot, Adaware and Spyblaster installed.
-Internet Explorer on the server should only be used for downloading drivers, NOTHING else.
-Install the least amount of software, no demos, no search tools. K.I.S.S.
-Create a document which every change to the server is noted, dated.
- Do not let anyone access the server, unless your there. Owners, bosses, outside techs are major threats. Owners/bosses will screw up a server extremely fast, then they will never tell you the changes they made.
-Highly recommend Executive Software's "Diskeeper" and "Undelte"
-Run chkdsk with the first sign of problems.
-Document all bios, hardware settings.
-backup server boot files to a floppy or another machine
-duplicate all server software, keep the originals locked up. Goes for software.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

The only thing I can think to add to this really good list you've gotten so far is to make sure you have enough free disk space on your system drive (usually C:). If the system drive fills up, lots of weird things can happen. Windows itself seems to get more finicky if there's less than 100 megs of free space available. Some applications need even more. So I try to keep half a gig free just so I have plenty of leeway. How often this is necessary will depend on what you have installed on the server and how many people besides you are logging in and messing around with stuff.

Dave Farquhar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back