Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Server on Dynamic Disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jckarel1

Technical User
Jun 17, 2002
GB
Can you install the Windows 2000 Server immediately onto Dynamic Disks?

The reason why I ask is that if you install on basic disks first and then upgrade to dynamic disks to create a simple volume you can't extend that volume.

However if you format a basic disk first then upgrade to a dynamic you can do whatever you want to volume.

Problem is that you can Format A Partitioned disk with the OS on it - obviously!!

Do I just have to give the OS drive a fixed space of say 4 GB and accept it as fixed?

No. You can't, because only an 'upgraded' dynamic disk is bootable. The 'bootiness' comes from things that are done to basic disks that can't be done to dynamic disks.

The way around your 'size problem' is to get a Windows98 boot floppy and use FDISK to delete all partitions. Then create a large partition formatted with FAT32. That will allow you to create a single partition that fills the entire drive (up to 32gig). Then run the Windows 2000 setup and install the system on that drive, choosing the option to convert it to NTFS. That's better than 4gig, right?

ShackDaddy

Also, either the System directory or the boot directory HAS to be on a disk which has partition "markers" (for lack of a better word). Dynamic disks don't have partitions per say. But they carry over the old detail once upgraded, which tells the boot record where everything is. If you tried to install on a dynamic disk from scratch, 2000 wouldn't be able to find itself to boot or do anything.

This information is according to various Server study guides (including Microsoft's) I've been looking at. I haven't actually tried to install on a dynamic disk myself.

Catadmin - New to Server Admin, but willing to learn... All help is appreciated.

Good, Cat. Just to carry clarity yet still further, it's the bootup directory, with ntdetect, boot.ini and so forth that has to be on a drive with a boot record. Dynamic disks don't have 'partitions', but have 'volumes' instead. A converted disk can still keep its boot record after it becomes dynamic, but a disk that was created as a dynamic disk can't have a boot record written to it, and thus can't be booted to.

After you've created your initial partition with FAT32 and converted it to NTFS during setup, you can then convert the disk from basic to dynamic once you get in and use Disk Manager.

ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back